poniedziałek, 28 marca 2011

US Language Issues: Press one for English


First the video goodness



Lyrics and discussion after the jump.





Here are the lyrics:


PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH

Hey, I can't read that sign out there,
Please tell me what's it say.
We have to have subtitles
In five languages these days.
Now we don't ask too much
To share this land of liberties,
But if it's not too much to ask
Could you please speak English?

(Chorus)

English is my language,
It's the language of this land.
And every sign that's posted here
I should understand.
I do not live in China, Mexico
No foreign place.
And English is the language
Of the United States.

Now I'll speak very clear for you,
So there'll be no mistake,
My family fought and died
Protecting freedoms in these states.
Now we all welcome those who come,
But when you reach our shores
Folks you should speak our language
Not the one you spoke before.

(Repeat chorus)

Now I'm proud of this country
And this great Democracy.
And I believe an open door
Should be our policy.
But for these opportunities
We'd simply ask you this
Hey you're the one who chose to come
Now choose to speak English.
Now here's one thing I question
And try to understand
Hey why must I press one for English
When it's the language of this land?


The first thing that comes to mind is ... what exactly are they complaining about? Multi-lingual signs and services are the world standard.

The second is ... the zero-sum model of language usage. They're not complaining as much about people not being able to speak English but about people choosing to speak any other language for any reason.


Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz